Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Classical Conversations



This school year the girls and I joined Classical Conversations. We LOVE it. I can not say enough about this program, and if there is one in your area I strongly recommend it! If there isn't one, start one! seriously!!!


I have never been much for the whole co-op home school thing. I realised early on with my boys, that if we were going to get school done, we needed to stay home and do school. Aside from the occasional field trip, that has pretty much been our mode of operation. One of the boys did take an English class one year, but that served to reinforce our thinking in this area. I know many home schoolers who do co-op, or simply hire someone as a group to teach in the higher level maths or sciences, or sometimes foreign language, it just hasn't been our choice. Oh Oh, that reminds me......I have to tell this story, and unless you are a home schooler you won't get this, but I have to share...indulge me kay????



So I'm at this function for Michael's real Estate thingy last weekend right, and the kids are with me looking all put together and trying their very best to behave right?, when I am just making small talk with this older lady right?....like maybe late 60ish....sorry, that's not really that old....it's not nearly as old as it used to be,.....so anyhoo, she's asking about where we live and all that stuff right, and she asks how I like the schools in our area, so I lay it out there,....I mean it isn't like I am afraid to tell people that I home school or anything, but you just never know how they are going to react right??? So you have to brace yourself for it, and measure your response.
I mean is it going to be the hostile former teacher thing where they spout the virtues of the public school system and how I could never possibly meet alllllllllll the needs of my many children, like several "professionally trained" teachers could.....
Or, is it going to be the old "OH, I could never do that, I would just kill my children, I don't know how you do it" schpeal.....
Or, will it be the "do you actually have curriculum for that?' question (my personal favorite by the way, I have always wanted to say "no, we pretty much just wing it, and play in the woods all day", but I am of course, much to polite for that!).....
Then there is the one that wants you to list the curriculum that you use as if.... well, as if most non-home schoolers are familiar with all the curriculum's, and, as if, I must prove to them that we really do use something....
Or then there is the, "Wow, I bet you have lots of time to do extra curricular activities", (I guess they think that, because they really don't think we actually crack the books)...
I have heard variations on all of these, but, I can honestly say I have never before gotten the response that I did on this evening . She said, and I quote,


"do you do that yourself, or do you hire someone to do that for you?"
no really, she did...I'm not kidding

to which I replied, in my mostess sweetestest voice, trying not to burst out in open mouthed hilarity spewing the wonderfully tasty bite of barbecue deliciousness that I had just taken, into her bifocalled glasses, "no, I do it myself" I stammered!


"oh" she retorted,"because I know LOTS of home schoolers in this area that do hire someone to go into their homes and teach their children for them"
"oh" I choked out "I haven't met any of them"..........
So..... if you indeed do do this hiring of someone to home school your children thingy, please, do tell, because I have yet to meet one of said species........
wow that was a very long rabbit trail, so where was I?........

Oh yeah, so Classical Conversations appealed to me because, where we were involved in a very large church where we came from last year, we are now in a much, much ...(I can't emphasize how much here,) smaller church in our wonderful new city. My girls needed interaction...I am not talking about socialization here, I am not looking for other children to socialize my sweeties, that is another subject for another far of and distant time, like maybe never. I am talking about just being around someone other then the nice retired check out clerk and her pimple faced side kick bagger at Publix, their brother, and me (who can also, at times, be pimple faced also, me I mean). So anyway, that is what we were looking for, and we got so so so very much more.


This post is getting entirely too long, and I know you have peas to shell, and cows to milk (if you really do, how cool is that!!!! I want to try out your life for a day, so contact me, and we'll make it happen) so I will finish the all out praise of CC at a later date.

Go have a wonderful spirit filled day, and if you ever meet that paying home schooler, take names and numbers, I want proof!




If you are wondering what on earth these pictures have to do with Classical Conversations, let me just clear that up for ya.....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.... I just like to remember that feeling of 102 degrees and the crunchy feeling that is sunburn, and the sand between my toes....can't get enough of it, and although fall is nice, SUMMER, I miss you my sweet friend.
If you care to comment, I would love to hear funny questions people have asked you, and how you answered...lets not be ugly, just in fun people, just in fun. It doesn't have to be about home schooling.....I am an equal opportunity blogger, but keep it nice!!!


5 comments:

mandy said...

Loved the pictures. Can't relate much to the "classical conversations" thing, though.... I'm notamama.
But I admire those who are!

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - I enjoyed it.
blessings,
mandy

Anonymous said...

Amy, I had never heard of doing "homeschooling" that way. I suppose, though, it's no different from in the 19th century when the wealthy hired tutors for their kids. As a 20 year veteran teacher, I would have homeschooled if I could. The public schools today have gone to h--- in a hand basket, as the saying goes. We deal with administrators here in Beaufort who only care that the parent is always right, so they take no action on unruly kids. I was lamenting today to two colleagues that the ruffians are allowed to rule the system because we make a zillion allowances for them and the good kids suffer. So....God bless anyone He has allowed to homeschool. If you do your job diligently, your kids are better off. (Now, enough of MY soapbox)

Lisar said...

Amy....this post cracked me up....even though I don't have kids and don't home school....I totally got the comments you related...boy you certainly did get sunburnt....I can relate to that crispy feeling of sunburn.... though I will admit...as living in a country which has one of the highest rates of skin cancer...I tend not to spend too much time in the sun throughout summer.... Hugs, Lisa

Anonymous said...

I am a fly on the wall..I have quietly enjoyed stopping in to read your blog every now and then...but I have to say I am having a good laugh trying to picture the conversation...Hiring someone to come in to teach my kids?! I, too, have heard quite a few interesting comebacks in regard to the how/what/whys of homeschooling (particularly from nonhomeschoolers), but THAT is a new one to me! I wonder if that hired "teacher" does cooking, dishes, and laundry, too?

Classical Conversations said...

Such a fun description of typical responses to home schooling! I enjoyed reading your post.

I'd also invite you to check out Leigh Bortins' blog(CC Founder) at http://1smartmama.blogspot.com for tips, fun stories, commentary, and links to other like-minded families.