Thursday, October 30, 2008

What would you say?????

So.... if your neighbor were moving out, and she came to your door with a lamp in her hand and asked you if you wanted it, and if you knew you wouldn't ever use the lamp, and that it would only ad to the many things you needed to purge, and you really, really, didn't want the lamp, what would you say? Remember now, she is standing there at your door, with the lamp in her hand, a perfectly good lamp, just not your style, or color, or anything remotely like something you would pick.....asking, as if she is doing you some kind of wonderful favour, but you really really don't want the lamp...... now think hard. What would you say????

What do you think I said??

I'll tell ya tomorrow.

4 comments:

Monica Wilkinson said...

I don't have to think hard. I know exactly what I would've said...

"Sure, I'll take the lamp - thank you so much for thinking of me."

But, I would've been *thinking* that I did not want the lamp and it would go right in my give away pile.

I know, I know - I need to be better about saying no in person - I REALLY struggle with that. It always feels like I'm going to offend the other person if I say it to their face.

Sigh - I'm interested to hear what happened! :)

Danielle said...

Oh my! I would have smiled and said Thank you! And as soon as they moved I would have gotten rid of it:-) I am sure it is stressful to move with all that stuff and would think I am just helping her out:-)

I can't believe you would have turned her away! I guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow...

Lisar said...

I think I would have sized up the lamp to see if it had any potential for being revamped....I am a hoarder!!!! But than again, I like to think I could have politely thanked her for thinking about me, but declined as I really did not need another lamp. Then perhaps the guilt might have set in and I might have felt bad that I said no.....such a simple thing to say no, but it isn't is it? I don't know you well enough yet to know what you said Amy, but somehow I think you might have said thanks but no thanks....You seem to be forthright enough, but also polite.....I am probably sooo wrong!!! Hugs, Lisa

Michelle said...

Hi! Your swap partner here, just thought I'd drop by as well. I'd be thinking the same thing, but would have graciously accepted it as well.