Thursday, March 15, 2012

DIY avocados


We LOVE avocados around here, mostly with salsa and chips. So Michael is taking a stab at growing our own! It reminds me of the ol' sweet potato trick.
 
Just toothpicks, and water, and in a few short weeks we have roots, and stems, and even some little tiny leaves showing themselves! I read that within three years we could have a tree!
 
Honestly, I kinda made fun of Michael when he put those rock hard seeds in water. I couldn't imagine that they would grow roots, much less sprout leaves. I didn't really want an ugly rotting avocado pit stinking up the house, but I kept that to myself, hoping it wouldn't take long for them (the seeds, or pits, or whatever they are) to prove me right.

Well, now I am a believer, and they have really been fun to watch, and they don't smell at all. Now this skeptic is dreaming of beautiful flowering avocado trees.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm dreaming of that too! Gonna have to look into that. Brian is a huge avocado fan!!!

Danielle said...

Nice! I love avocados! In my tacos, on my salad, on a sandwich instead of mayo, make pudding with them! YUMMO! I don't think they would grow up here though:-(

Anonymous said...

You do know they take nearly a decade to fruit and may never fruit at all when grown indoors, right?

asnipofgoodness said...

Haha, anonymous, yes, you are so encouraging! Thank you!