Sunday, March 18, 2012

Her Birthday suit

march 20124

Just before ElizaJane’s birthday we were discussing our plans, when she remembered an important detail that had not been mentioned, until then. “My birthday outfit” she chirped, “We can’t forget my birthday outfit!”. “You were going to make something
special weren’t you Momma?”

GoogleDSC_0101-1

“Weeeeellllllllll, of course" I stuttered, remembering that I had quite forgotten! For the last few years I had made something special for her to wear on her birthday. That had somehow inadvertently become some kind of tradition to my soon to be eight year old. Not wanting to disappoint, and knowing if I sacrificed a little time I could make it happen, I got to work.

DSC_0099-2

I really only had a day left, but I already had the fabric and the pattern (something I had planned to make last fall, before the move proved more of a challenge than expected), so all I needed was the ingenuity. The desire to make her birthday special was all I needed for an incentive, and the truth is, I love to do for my children.

DSC_0096-2

So this little corduroy number is what I came out with, and it was perfect for winter/spring in the south.
On her birthday morning I was brushing her hair in front of the mirror, as she admired herself in her new ensemble.

“Momma, what would I do without you?” she said sweetly, as she turned and hugged my neck.

This is why I did it, I thought to myself.

“ Well, you would be just fine” I cooed, “Daddy and Haven would take good care of you!”

“But they don’t know how to sew!” she exclaimed.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Jane - "Mama, who is that girl? She is pretty and I like her outfit!" Thinking Jane wishes I could sew her one of those numbers too. I don't know how to sew but I can brush hair with them best of them!!! :)

Danielle said...

lovely memories!

Sarah Belle said...

That is way cute! I love your girls! Thanks for the comment on my blog! I have some really funny pics. of Elijah that I will try to post soon!

I miss ya'll so much! I hope ya'll are doing well!

Have a blessed day!

LOVE
Sarah