Tuesday, June 15, 2010

birthday banner

A few years ago I made this banner for Haven for her birthday tea party. We now get it out every June, and display it in honor of her birthday month. She is proud of it, and this year it hangs on her bent twig bed.



It was really very easy and fun to fashion, and a great project to use all those bits and pieces you have left over from other projects.


I simply cut triangles the size that I wanted out of heavy twill fabric, and then attached scraps of other fabrics by sewing around the edges. I left the edges raw, as I like that frayed look that it will get over time. I then glued on glittered letters I had in my scrap booking stash, but you could use any letters you might have, paint or stencil letters, or even embroider some if you have one of those fancy machines.


Then I simply embellished to my hearts content with buttons, and trim, lace, and hard chipboard
do dads (like that bowl of cherries by the V), rickrack, charms, and I even found a cute ribbon bumble bee at the bottom of my sewing basket! You can see it on the very first triangle if you look closely.



The sky is the limit with this project, and it was really fun to try and capture Haven's girlie personality in the creation of it. There are also a few scraps used that were from some of her out grown garments, like that pink eyelet on the H, and that sweet blue bird fabric on the V.





I attached the triangles to a gingham ribbon with some colorful binder clips that I had on hand. It would also be cute to sew the triangles on a ribbon, or use biased tape over the top edge of the triangles leaving some surplus on each end for hanging.

How about making a banner to honor someone special in your home, and start a tradition of your own?

If you have never left a comment before, today would be a great day to do so, I would love to hear from some of you lurkers.

Have a great Wednesday!

you can find more trash to treasure here

and more home decor here
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Visit thecsiproject.com





Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Beautiful banner! I love that you used the binder clips, great idea!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Super, super, super cute! I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so way creative. Fun, lovely, and makes a certain precious girl know she is special. Cool beans! tammyp

Jen Q. said...

If I were to make a banner from "creative" things from around our house, it would be made of baby wipes, cheerios from under the couch, old sippy cup parts and maybe a milk jug or two.

Your banner is awesome (of course)
xoxoxoxo

Julia said...

I love the fabrics and little details that you chose.

~Julia

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Your banner is simply beautiful! I love all the details you have added. The fabrics are gorgeous. Hope you are enjoying your weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Haverford House said...

What a beautiful banner you made for your daughter! I love the colors you used! ~Marcy

Lisa said...

awesome banner. thanks for the inspiration - i want to try to make one out of fabric now. i've only done paper so far!!

Lisa said...

super cute! i have a thing for banners but haven't tried to make one like this - but i think i will!! thanks for the inspiration!

twigandtoadstool said...

That is certainly one of the loveliest banners I've seen!
:) maureen

musesignsdotcom said...

Wow, want to make one now looks fantastic!