Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Curing the "blues"


I have discovered the secret to beating "the blues", you know, those days when there seems to be a dark cloud over your head, and you are tempted to either snap at the ones you love, or the slightest kind word can reduce you to tears.

When everything in you wants to eat a bowl of your favorite comfort food, or cover your head in a sea of downy soft covers, or wallow in self pity and what if's, or lie on the sofa and watch hours of mindless TV, or whine at someone else about how easy so and so has it, or whatever worthless activity comes to mind when you feel "yucky", do the last thing you want to do.

DO THE NEXT THING!!

That's right, do the next thing that needs to be done. It will be hard, but trust me. When that thing is done, then do the next thing, and that won't be quite as hard. Then do the next thing, and you will begin to feel a change. Then do the next thing, and the next thing, and guess what, the feeling will lift, and the cloud will dissipate, and you will be glad that not only do you feel better, but a lot of things got done!! It works for me!

Doing the next thing can prevent a bad moment from turning into a bad morning, and a bad morning from turning into a bad day, and a bad day from turning into a bad week.....and so on and so forth, you get the picture.

Oh, and a little one on one time with your maker helps too, and a good cry doesn't hurt either. That also works for me, but then, do the next thing!



This little tip is part of the Works For Me Wednesday part of Rocks in My Dryer. Jump over there and find more tips, that work for others!


Our November thankful game works for me too, please join us by sharing what you are thankful for today! Hey, It's the next thing!

Today I am grateful for:
- Veggie Tales
- That my high schooler doesn't need my help for his pre-trig
- That my college boy will be home next week for Thanksgiving
- That cold weather doesn't last forever here
- Memories of happy times, and the chance to make more

What are you grateful for?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What adorable pictures of EJ. I am thankful for:
*cold weather this morning
*that my son doesn't need help with his homework
*prayerful friends
*the holidays coming up for a chance to rest and recuperate
*a God who listens and hears

Carol said...

Some days, instead of thinking about the mountain we need to climb, it's best to just focus on taking that next step.

Great words! Am off to the next thing right now.

Michele said...

I am thankful for...
-modern conveniences like washers and dryers, air conditioning and heat!
-the opportunity to practice "primitive living" since our pipes froze and we have no running water
-a husband with a great sense of humor about being the one to discover no water the hard way
-that my 17 year old likes a clean kitchen
-that my learning challenged son is at home with me and knows his true worth

Angie said...

I just stumble over here by accident and realized, I know her. I hope all is going well with you and your sweet family.
~Angie

Anonymous said...

I am grateful for my Christian Home and for 2 healthy kids. I apprecaite you stopping by my blog and commenting. I love the picture of that little girl. She's a cutie!! =)

Have a great Wednesday. Your tip is a great one.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for
-my laptop
-this cold day
-a 45 minute phone conversation with my oldest son today
-buttered cornbread
-kids who will exercise with me
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I am grateful for:
-the 4 seasons we get to experience in Indiana
-my computer
-a husband who provides well
-3 kids who bring a smile to my face each day
-YOU for this simple, yet profound post - doing the next thing is often the best thing to do!

Thanks for commenting on my blog!
Susan